The ICB Manual Bookkeeping Level 1 course has been designed for people wishing to develop an understanding of the basic concepts of double entry bookkeeping and in doing so gain a professional bookkeeping qualification. The course is also the prerequisite for ICB Manual Bookkeeping Level 2 and ICB Computerised Bookkeeping level 2 qualifications.
There are no prerequisites for this course. It is designed for complete beginners.
Unsure about taking this course? Why not try before you buy. Fill in the form and we'll send out a FREE sample of this course along with tutor support. CLICK HERE
About this Course:
Whether you are intending to enter the job market, run your own bookkeeping business or wish to carry out the bookkeeping tasks for your own business this course is the ideal starting point.
The course is structured in a format that allows you to study in your own time at your own pace. We provide you with everything needed to complete your course and exam so that you can concentrate on your studies without having to worry about extra costs for materials or the inconvenience of arranging membership and exams.
The course fee includes:
• Workbook containing lessons, examples, tasks and assignments.
• Model Answers workbook.
• Revision Pack.
• Fast Track Exercise and Assignment sheets. (Saves up to 20 hours of study time)
• Award winning Qualified tutor support by e-mail and telephone.
• Guaranteed same day marking.
• FREE syllabus updates if required.
• Mock exam with feedback.
• FREE repeat lessons.
• Online ICB exam simulation test.
• Registration fee.
• 12 months ICB student membership
• FREE Postage and packaging.
35 hours average study time with fast track.
The Level I Certificate in Manual Bookkeeping is an online examination and can be completed by the student wherever they have access to a secure internet connection.
After applying, the student will be emailed confirmation and a link to further instructions. The examination booking will expire after two weeks of being set up and if it is not used by this time, the student must apply for a new examination and pay any necessary fees. Students are given two hours to complete the examination and results will be issued online straightaway
(1) Business Documents
(a) Understand the purpose and range of business documents. Be able to:
Explain the purpose and flow of documents between seller and buyer to include:
- purchase order
- delivery note
- credit note
- returns note
(b) Understand the need to accurately prepare business documents for goods supplied. Be able to:
- accurately prepare invoices and credit notes including the treatment of VAT and cash discount
- ensure that these are correctly authorised
- ensure that they are correctly coded
- prepare statements for despatch to debtors
- check suppliers' invoices and credit notes to relevant documents
- check calculations on suppliers' invoices and credit notes including treatment of VAT
- correctly code invoices and credit notes
- identify discrepancies and resolve
(a) Understand the purpose of books of prime entry and ledger accounts. Be able to:
Enter invoices and credit notes into books of prime entry and prepare:
- sales day book
- sales returns day book
- purchase day book
- purchase returns day book
Enter invoices and credit notes into the appropriate ledger accounts including the treatment of VAT:
- sales ledger
- main/general ledger
- purchase ledger
- main/general ledger
(b) Prepare an opening journal entry and post to ledger accounts.
(c) Prepare a journal entry to record purchase of a fixed asset.
(d) Prepare journal entries for the correction of errors.
(3) Ledger Accounts and the Division of the Ledger
(a) Understand the purpose of ledger accounts. Be able to post transactions to:
- sales ledger
- purchase ledger
- main and general ledger
(b) Record both capital and revenue expenditure including the treatment of wages and salaries.
(c) Post opening entries and balance off at the end of an accounting period.
(d) Deal with the write off of a bad debt.
(4) Making and Receiving Payments
The Cash Book
Understand the purpose and use of the cash book:
- accurately record receipts and payments in a two column cash book
- balance off cash and bank columns and bring down balances
- complete the double entry to main and subsidiary ledgers
Understand the purpose and use of the trial balance.
Be able to:
- prepare a trial balance from the ledger accounts
- identify discrepancies
- identify errors
- correct errors
- balance the trial balance
- understand the basic elements of a contract
- understand the basic principles of the Data Protection Act
- identify the various methods of payment available through the banks:
- standing orders
- credit and debit cards
Once students have achieved the Level I Certificate in Manual Bookkeeping, they make take the Level II Certificate in Manual Bookkeeping or Level II Certificate in Computerised Bookkeeping.
These courses are available to purchase at the same time and as such enable you to make a saving on the overall costs when purchasing extra levels individually.
Deposit - £60 followed by 5 Monthly payments of £40 Total £260
Please click here for application form and Terms & conditions
Customer Reviews (view all)
Average Rating 5
Carrie Clegg, Rated: 5
Although I was a little daunted about doing this course, I found it was very easy to follow. The support from the tutors was great and extremely helpful.
I would definitely recommend this course. I can't wait to get started on Level 2.
Jane Chamberlain, Rated: 5
Excellent exceptionally easy to follow, with clear examples and explanations. The assignments and workbooks provide excellent preparation for the examination.
Linda Beazley, Rated: 5
Really enjoyed this course. Was a bit sceptical at first about how effective distant learning with this subject would be but found the course content, training manuals and instructions excellent. Course material arrived on the day, exactly as advised. Also very impressed with my Tutor - Steve Capeling - his prompt responses and feed back after submission of each assignment were impressive. I passed the exam with 'Distinction'. What more can I say!
Review this product...